There is one video I uploaded to my customers from my store, I made
it to explain my Mexican customers how this work (Spanish), but you can see
exactly how those 3 wires works. As lee Hart says; connecting the pot ends
would give you a maximum resistance on the center and 0ohm on when turning
it on each side. Not a popular connection on EVs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L-63p-MA3UE

        Usually the 3 wires Pots are used for electronics where there is
needed to have a positive and negative references for making the 'wing'
process, from an 'X' specific voltage to another 'y' different than ground
or ground too. For almost any EV controller you should only require one side
and the center, depending on the controller input logic; from 0 to 5K ohm or
from 5K to 0ohm.

        Other outgoing wires, if the PB-6 keeps original; only can be the
micro-switch (that is 3 leads in it) for certain controllers as confirmation
of 'end/start of track' or force to off mode in case the pot inside track
fails or there is a false contact on the pot wiring.

Ing. Marco Gaxiola
CEO/Director
Juarez #18, Col. Bachoco
Tel: +52(662)301.1070