On Apr 28, 2015, at 11:55 AM, Mark Abramowitz via EV <ev@lists.evdl.org> wrote:

> On Apr 28, 2015, at 11:43 AM, Tom Martin via EV <ev@lists.evdl.org> wrote:
>>
>> The state in turn sent you a 'Certificate' of title.  The auto you bought
>> and paid for is the property of the state.
>
> Huh?
>
> The Certificate of Title establishes *you* as owner of the car. Not the state.

I think Tom might be coming from a certain Libertarian perspective that says
that, if the State can confiscate or otherwise render valueless your property,
especially if you stop paying taxes ("rent" in those circles), then it's the
state that owns whatever it is.

I haven't heard this applied to a vehicular title, but it's certainly a common
theme with property taxes.

b&