This issue was recently discussed in an a Wired article about John Deer
tractors:
http://www.wired.com/2015/04/dmca-ownership-john-deere/

It is also related to the 'right to repair' legislative efforts taking
place in NY and MN:
http://www.digitalrighttorepair.org/fair-repair/

In short, you may own a hunk of metal, but have no rights to actually
repair it or operate it because the control/ECU are licensed and
copyrighted, and/or need a special password to access. If aftermarket parts
or you bypass the password, you may run afoul of the DMCA.