On 27 Apr 2015 at 23:59, David Rees via EV wrote:

> The lithium battery controller on the LEAF is this way. If you want to
> swap an entire battery pack out, you have to be able to reprogram the
> LBC. Otherwise you have to open up the pack and either swap out all
> the modules or the LBC.

It sounds like they're following the model of some laptop computers.  A
couple of years ago I was looking into the idea of rebuilding an old laptop
battery with fresh cells.  I found a writeup online from someone who had
tried it - and failed.

It seems that the manufacturer took a page from the printer manufacturers'
books.  The engineers built a counter into the BMS.  When it had turned
around some designated number of amp-hours, the BMS simply quit allowing the
lithium cells to charge, regardless of their actual condition.

The BMS isn't available as a spare part, though there are some (possibly
dodgy) Chinese generic substitutes.

This is not quite the same as the Leaf battery model cited, I guess, but
it's a similar principle: make it more difficult for the independent
mechanic or private owner to service the battery.  The next step in the Leaf
is to chip every individual cell, I suppose.

And then there's Renault's leased EV battery that stops accepting charges if
you don't keep paying the monthly rental.

And how about the entire EVs that you can't own, but only lease, from the
EV1 and Honda EV Plus to the current Fit EV?  It seems as if the new
generation of EVs was practically born into this restrictive model.  :-(

David Roden - Akron, Ohio, USA
EVDL Administrator