Historically, the US markets have gained ~10% a year for 100 years.  In
total market index fund is a very good in this context - not PV or
storage.  But compared to safe dividend paying stocks it is a good deal,
and you don't want to be all in with the market.

I was happy to put up enough PV to max out the federal and state tax
credits.  If I am lucky it will return 7% to 9%, but Duke doesn't see it
the way I do, and they are in charge.

Duke Progress here in NC is perhaps anomalous.  Much as I hate to admit it,
their control freak ways have not hurt residents in NC  - my net metering
rate is 9.7cents a kWh.   It is hard to justify much of anything against
that cost.  Duke Progress is pretty stiff competition for electrons here.

You have to abhor cracked atoms, heavy water out the yingyang and arsenic
laced coal ash ponds to find much justification for residential PV here.

On Mon, May 4, 2015 at 7:25 PM, Ben Goren via EV <ev@lists.evdl.org> wrote:

> On May 4, 2015, at 4:15 PM, Cor van de Water via EV <ev@lists.evdl.org>
> wrote:
>
> > Again, the most optimal case would be that you can shift the full 10kWh
> each day, which
> > would yield $2.60 per day or $950 per year.
> > In 10 years that would give you $9,500 which is about the money you
> invested in a 10kW
> > system, 10 years earlier so this would give you a zero-percent
> investment with risks. Not good.
>
> Actually...a ten-year payoff is about a 7% annual rate of return, which is
> really rather good.
>
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rule_of_72
>
> A ten-year payoff means that you've doubled your money over the course of
> ten years. 70 / 10 = 7%.
>
> (That of course assumes the battery is still worth $10K at the end, and so
> on. I've still found the Rule of 70 to be a rather useful tool for doing
> this kind of financial analysis...anything with a ten-year or better payoff
> is almost always something you should seriously consider leaping at, if
> you've got the capital to spare. You'll have less money in your pocket,
> yes, but your expenses will be dramatically lowered giving you a lot more
> financial flexibility and security.)
>
> b&

Thomas A. Edison
<http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/quotes/t/thomasaed125362.html>