On May 13, 2015, at 11:51 AM, Jamie K via EV <ev@lists.evdl.org> wrote:

> Ben, on the subject of L1 chargers being good enough for nearly everybody and
> L2 being overkill, I would ask "based on what data"?

Sorry...I had in mind overnight home charging, with the assumption that the 20
kWh you get from 12 hours @ 110V / 15A is going to be good enough for as many
miles as nearly everybody is going to need in a day, especially given the types
of efficiency figures we're headed towards and that Lawrence was advocating. At
250 Wh / mile, that's 80 miles. Even at 500 Wh / mile, that's still 40 miles,
the range that Chevy targeted for the Volt as "almost good enough for 100%
electric for almost everybody."

Yes, there will be exceptions...but how many people regularly drive more than
40 miles in a day, and, of those, how many are going to want to do so in an EV
that's only doing 500 Wh / mile?

Even more important...how many people are going to want to spend lots of extra
money on an at-home fast charger if overnight L1 charging always leaves them
with 80 miles more in the morning than they had at the end of the day before?

b&