Volt/Ampera's regularly do more than 50 miles on their 10.4kWh battery packs
and that includes dragging round a backup four cylinder engine in a steel
chassis.
      From: Paul Dove via EV <ev@lists.evdl.org>
 To: Electric Vehicle Discussion List <ev@lists.evdl.org>
 Sent: Wednesday, 13 May 2015, 16:59
 Subject: Re: [EVDL] Supercharging is not the way.

The I-MiEV already is energy efficient. It travels 60 miles on a 16kw battery
and charges in 30 min on chase mo.

Sent from my iPhone

> On May 13, 2015, at 10:37 AM, Lawrence Rhodes via EV <ev@lists.evdl.org>
> wrote:
>
> I've now heard all the talk about 5 minute quick charging batteries and the 1
> megawatt per car requirement.  It's time to stop the madness.  As much as I
> love Tesla all their models are big energy pigs.  85KW!  Yes much better than
> a gas car of any size but when there are vehicles that can go further on less
> energy why not use efficiency and not sheer battery size to attain your goal.
>  Stella the electric car that won the Cruiser Class of the World Solar
> Challenge has a 16kw pack that can take the car 375 miles with no sunlight.
> Using the solar panels it can go further and faster.  Engineers seem to
> forget that it's not the range that hurts electric cars but the charging
> time.  If you reduce the pack size charging times will lessen just by size
> requiring less than MW consumption.  Think of a ten stall quick charging
> station.  That might require 10mw when fully deployed.  Then look at Stella
> at a Chademo site.  About 20 minutes to 80 percent.  With those new batteries
> I cou
 ldn't tell you but very quick and it wouldn't need mega watt levels of
electricity.  So I think the engineers need to put their thinking caps on,
reduce the weight of every vehicle, make the CD of all new vehicles .16 or so
and stop making these energy hogs.  Efficiency not Mega Watts.    Lawrence
RhodesStella Solar Powered Car