Good points about the importance of low weight and improved CD, Lawrence. If the Tesla Model 3 can be more efficient than the Model S, that would help get the price down from Model S levels while still maintaining their desired range. Carrying fewer batteries would help further with the weight side of the equation. It will be interesting to see what they can accomplish.

Ben, on the subject of L1 chargers being good enough for nearly everybody and L2 being overkill, I would ask "based on what data"?

I can tell you that the 6.6kW L2 charging ability _at home_ is what makes our 2013 LEAF practical for our use.

There are days when we charge several times, from home. Even 3.3kW L2 would make the LEAF much less useful. Relying on slow L1 would make it necessary to drive another car much of the time.

Once there's a 160+ miles/charge LEAF with a larger battery pack, L1 would be even less practical since it would take days to charge from empty.

Finally, L3 is what makes our LEAF practical for trips to nearby towns, where we can charge quickly near the destination in order to make the return trip. Having just L1 would eliminate the LEAF from that use case entirely, and even 6.6kW L2 would generally be too slow.

For longer road trips the supercharging approach works for the Model S, and it could work even better for more people given higher efficiency, lower cost vehicles in the future. The Model S is high performance but low efficiency.

Cheers,
 -Jamie