Ben Goren via EV wrote:
Thinking this through a bit more...I'm not sure that it would make
sense for a rapid-charging station to operate without a substantial
dump pack of its own.

That is correct. I worked for a company that made high power chargers, mainly for commercial/industrial users. It's not unusual to have a warehouse with dozens of electric forklifts, or a mine with dozens of electric tugs. At the end of a shift, they either plug them in to recharge, or swap packs if there are multiple shifts per day.

Since these industrial EV packs are hundreds or even thousands of amphours, their chargers are huge! Since plants *do* pay penalties for peak power, and get discounts for off-peak usage, they routinely load-shift with their EV batteries.

Depending on their situation, they might use timers to only recharge their EVs at night. Or they might have their spare packs on charge while the vehicles themselves are in use, so when they pull in for a quick charge between shifts, the peak power is actually coming from the spare batteries. Lots of schemes are in use. The plant managers will do whatever it takes for the best bottom line.

--
A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is
        -- Antoine de Saint Exupery