On 30 May 2015 at 13:58, Ben Goren via EV wrote:

> As I wrote: has anybody bothered to tell the NSA that what they're doing is
> illegal?

I'm not sure that makes a difference to them.  But tossing that political
football round is OT for us, and also kind of pointless, since it won't
change anything.

I think what matters in this discussion is that at least some EVs are
already passing information about your use of them back to the manufacturer.

Now suppose your legislature passes an EV pay-by-mileage law, and your local
DMV gives you a choice between allowing them access to your EV's data and
not getting a license for the EV.  They have an economic interest in those
data, since online access means that they don't have to pay someone to check
your odometer.  Hey, look how wisely they're using your tax dollars!  :-\

Again, I'm no attorney, but as I understand it, courts have ruled that
driving isn't a fundamental right.  You have the choice to maintain your
privacy by not driving your EV, and your constitutional rights are thus
sufficiently satisfied.

Fifteen years ago I would have said this couldn't happen, but a lot has
happened in that time that I thought never would.

I also thought that the contribution EVs make to the public health (and thus
public expense) would be rewarded by allowing them to escape fuel tax. I
sure was wrong about that!

David Roden - Akron, Ohio, USA
EVDL Administrator