Many states require a bi-yearly smog or safety check for vehicles,
in many cases the ODO reading is recorded at the time of test.
For insurance purpose, you also need to issue the mileage when insuring the
vehicle since premium fees are based on declared usage (miles per year).
So, it is not uncommon to pay based on usage, the whole reason why the fuel
was taxed, to account for the amount of use. With EV it becomes harder to
distinguish between home and vehicular use - similar to the problem with
home heating oil being essentially diesel and also farm use diesel being
off-road, so untaxed and some creative folks running that in their cars,
so color additives to the fuel allow detection of non-road (untaxed) fuel
in on-road vehicles. Tagging electricity is a little harder if you can
plug into any outlet in the home to refuel your car.
So, they try to tag onto something that is already in place, to levy taxes
for the maintenance and construction of the freeways (all other roads get
overwhelmingly funded via property taxes, whether you own a car or not,
whether you drive or not - you pay for the roads in your town.)
Other countries have tried various things, from paying for certain stretches
of road (similar to toll) or per mile driven - the "gas tax" is still one
of the best ways to put the burden where the pollution (=part of the cost)
is generated, otherwise it becomes unequal between gas guzzlers and sippers,
but that is a whole political process, so I think we should avoid that.
Lets just say that miles driven can be recorded with existing means (ODOmeter)
and thus there is a basis for a pay-for-how-far-you-drive

Cor van de Water
Chief Scientist
Proxim Wireless

office +1 408 383 7626          Skype: cor_van_de_water
XoIP   +31 87 784 1130          private: cvandewater.info
www.proxim.com

This email message (including any attachments) contains confidential and
proprietary information of Proxim Wireless Corporation.  If you received this
message in error, please delete it and notify the sender.  Any unauthorized
use, disclosure, distribution, or copying of any part of this message is
prohibited.