You could be right. The Leaf console asks you to agree to their communications system, which requires setting up an account of sorts. If you don't agree, do they send the info anyway?

Peri

------ Original Message ------
From: "EVDL Administrator via EV" <ev@lists.evdl.org>
To: "Electric Vehicle Discussion List" <ev@lists.evdl.org>
Sent: 29-May-15 7:17:30 PM
Subject: Re: [EVDL] Design News: Why Aren't Electrical Cars Sales Better? It's the battery.

On 29 May 2015 at 18:19, Paul Dove via EV wrote:

 Seems impossible to monitor how can they know how far I drove?

I'm probably going to sound tinfoil-hattish here, but how do you know that your EV isn't already telling its manufacturer how far you drove last year?
If you have a Tesla, it almost certainly is; and if you have a Leaf, I
wouldn't be surprised if it is. If I'm not mistaken, and someone correct me if I am, both of these cars have full time mobile data connections back to
their "masters."  All in the name of "product improvement," mind you.

The car knows its own VIN. Do you see any reason to think that if your DMV
asks for that information, and maybe offers a little incentive to cover
their costs, Tesla and/or Nissan would say no?  I don't.

"This isn't your father's Oldsmobile."  Indeed it isn't.

David Roden - Akron, Ohio, USA
EVDL Administrator