For the last 15 years, I have been using a onboard smart charger made by
Schumacker Model WM-6000A.  Set at 30 amp and set for a deep cycle battery.

Tap off the main AC input plug with a control switch and circuit breaker at 20
amperes.  The charge cycle for a 12 volt deep cycle battery may get up to 15
volts and then settles down to 13.3 volts as a maintainer.

While the EV is park and or is charging by the main charger and the accessory
12 volt charger, the DC-DC converters are off line.  For a 12 volt deep cycle
battery, the converters should be set to 14.5 volts.  Using a 12 volt meter on
the dash, I then have to switch to 13.5 volts when the battery gets up to 14.5
volts.

I do not use the DC-DC converters for the last two years, but use a deep cycle
alternator to see what happens.  After every run, my 12 volt battery is mostly
always charge.  The onboard 12 volt charger goes into the maintainer mode in
with one minute.

Can get about 10 to 12 years out of a 12 Volt Deep cycle battery.  The battery
I have now was install on Sept 4 2009.

Roland