Mark,

That is kind of naive, or not resulting from careful thought -
"cleanliness" of any electric use depends on the power generating source.

I have 6kW of solar at home - pretty clean.  If I charged the light EV pack
with a gas generator that would be pretty stinky.  Grid power around here
is primarily NG from modern plants, so... you can argue about clean there
many ways.  I could probably cobble together a wood gas generator/generator
that would stink, but be carbon neutral.   Then there are all the other
options.

Light EVs are, if nothing, cheap for low income folks, they help the
sedentary wealthy get some exercise on short trips - just like the Vermont
people noted in recent posts.

Light EVs don't waste as much energy because they generally don't go very
fast - anything over 12mph has an air drag penalty and 80mph is very
inefficient in comparison whatever the source or vehicle. Air drag is the
predominant energy wasting pathway.

Light EVs make a lot more sense in terms of material efficiency as they
don't have to resort to titanium, and aluminum to be lightweight (easily
made from recovered scarp and recycled parts).  If you want to do a dust to
dust comparison.

A human is incredibly efficient if you can get sufficient distance and trip
time.  A few meals of beans and greens will get you a couple hundred miles
if you are a hearty and practiced rider. I suspect that is how the vast
majority of the millions of EV bike owners are doing it.  Someone recently
quoted there are 126 million light EVs, bikes scooters, and so on.  You can
discount the biological miles as not pertinent, but I think the pedal/EV
hybrid is a very worth design.  Far cleaner than other alternatives for
most power sources and use cases.

On Sat, Aug 22, 2015 at 8:35 PM, Mark Abramowitz via EV <ev@lists.evdl.org>
wrote:

> Aren't EV miles *dirtier* for bikes? Don't they mostly use unassisted
> bikes?
>
> Sent from my iPhone

Thomas A. Edison
<http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/quotes/t/thomasaed125362.html>