On 01/13/2016 09:07 AM, Robert Bruninga via EV wrote:
... buying a used Leaf is a great solution...
... I have always liked the prospects of truck conversions.

Is that like hacking the rear of the Leaf to add a truck bed?
Or hacking a truck to install the Leaf drive?

When I bought my wrecked leaf, (rear end collision), it would drive around with the back wheels on wheel dollies.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ONBXP0ttW88

I put about a day of thought into finding a rear end of an S10/ranger or other "lite" pickup and welding it to the back of the Leaf. It could be done and should work, but would look horrible without a lot of snazzy body work.

The big issue I forsee is that you can't easily cut the leaf in half because the battery is under the rear seats as well, so you would have a long cab short bed pickup.

Transplanting the entire leaf drivedrain into the front of a s10/ranger should also be quite possible, but finding room for the battery would require extensive modifications to the frame of the truck (unless you cheated and just carried it around in the bed, but that would remove your truck carrying capacity reason for doing the conversion.) Even removing the driveshaft, the battery wouldn't fit between the rails unless you moved them out a lot.

Jay