[ref
http://electric-vehicle-discussion-list.413529.n4.nabble.com/Hotel-Chargers-tp4681733.html
]

I have some experience at this, and I support I should have caught this one
earlier but I was dabbling in some research that is OT for the evdl.

First SteveS it is so wonderful for so many members to jump in trying to
help you, but you did not even give the basics of what your needs are and
the location(s) you will need them. You do not have to give us all your
personal information, just what type of coupler/connector (L1, L2 j1772,
Tesla, or are you outside the U.S. and are seeking type 1 or 2, what?).
*Your latest post sez you want to charge your Volt pih. So, either a L2 or
L1 will do.

Gives us either an area code or zip code to know where you want to plug-in.
And give your preference: you need a high-end hotel (maybe for clients,
etc.), or you are flexible and at this point anything will do (as long as it
does not have bed-bugs).

-Cor had the right idea, but Harsha's trying different-wording to get your
needs expressed will be necessary (some people do not listen or ar ethe type
that needs to hear three different ways to grasp what you are saying). I
usually listen for their confusion. After the second one, I would have asked
to talk to an assistant manager, or manager.

It really depends on the lodging business. When I have dealt with the lower
cost Motel6 locations, those that were willing, would let me run a cord out
my window to my EV. Some wanted some $ compensation, a couple did not (they
were just confused with what I was doing). Though running a cord out your
window to your EV can also bring unwanted visibility (the drunken trucker
neighbors were yakking really loud about "What the Heck is that!?", "An
Electric Car!?", etc. I had to spend time keeping an eye on my EV to ensure
it was not messed with and was still on a charge.).

A different time when I was hanging out with the GM EV1 Club, and staying at
one of the places their members were: Fairfield Inn in Vacaville-CA for a
long convoy rally to Sacramento to impress CARB that EVs were a viable
transportation option, I did not have to worry about drunken trucker
neighbors (this place was too high end & co$tly for their liking).

(Along the same thoughts as Bill Dube had said) Before I checked in, I drove
around their buildings and saw they had L1 outlets. When I had checked in, I
talked to the manager and got permission to plugin to one. I chose a parking
space near one, where people would likely not be walking near by, and ran my
extension cord across their lawn to the L1 outlet that was along the
building's wall (it must have been there for some maintenance use).

I have experienced how exasperating it can be when the people you are
talking to just do not get what you are talking about. In an effort to help
keep plugshare.com listings accurate, I had approached a high-end hotel in
Palo Alto that was listed on plugshare as charging a Tesla (likely a
roadster as this was years ago). I parked and walked into talk to them to
gather information.

The person at the desk was courtesy but clueless. I asked to talk to an
assistant manager. I waited off to the side for 20 minutes to not be in the
front desk's way. Finally, after explaining again what I was after, to try
to know what type of charging they had, and possibly see (so I could take a
picture to upload), the assistant manager said I would have to wait until I
could talk to their (very busy) manager. Another 20 minutes, and I explained
again (I have done this type of thing so often for the EV-cause).

The manager just looking at me knew I was not his level of clientele (I did
not look rich) yet he begrudgingly gave me his time (I could see that in his
face). After explaining once again to he I got a quick and direct answer.
They had let one Tesla driver that was staying at the hotel plug into a L1
outlet that happened to be in their parking area. He made it clear that they
had no formal (j1772) EVSE, that I would not be allowed to see where the
outlet was, and he wanted that listing to not state they had charging. It
took several attempts to him to understand I did not represent plugshare,
that someone had put that information up their and that someone was not me
(he likely did not truly grasp the whole Internet concept, and likely
thought email was a bother, etc.).

So, yea, dealing with people, businesses, can be frustrating. Another point
of frustration is businesses that do not list having EVSE on their web sites
(few do, or keep the info up to date).

But that is where plugshare comes in handy. For instance, lets assume SteveS
is going to Atlanta, GA and is looking for a hotel. I could use a search
engine with keywords  plugshare atlanta, ga hotel j1772
https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=plugshare+atlanta%2C+ga+hotel+j1772

Trying to do this type of search from within plugshare does not work (at the
last Silicon Valley EAA Rally in Sept at De Anza College, I asked a
plugshare rep to discuss that idea with their founder Brian who drives
Electric. So maybe in the future they will).

An alternative method to asking lodging if they have EVSE, is to know what
lodging is in the city you want to stay and then find public EVSE near those
lodging businesses.

Lets use a different location and assume SteveS drives the WA-OR Electric
Highway (Hwy 5) to Corvallis, OR for his business appt.

I would bring up a maps page searching with keywords
hotels corvallis oregon
https://www.google.com/maps/search/hotels+corvallis+oregon/@44.5739942,-123.285427,13z

Then I bring up plugshare in another browser tab searching for  corvallis
oregon
and set the filters to look for L2 (j1772), and L1.

By comparing the two maps I can see which lodging locations have the public
EVSE nearby. Even if clicking on the individual EVSE listed on plugshare
does not revile a lodging business with EVSE, at least I know where to
charge beforehand.
There are ways to accomplish SteveS's goals. It can be done.

BTW this might be what John Lindsay was 'snag' ing on (an Aussie repast)
https://www.flickr.com/photos/felix42/2113180643

For EVLN EV-newswire posts use:
http://evdl.org/evln/

{brucedp.150m.com}