Do not have to keep the motor idling.  Remember that the accessories are not
running continues all the time. Just like your heating and A/C systems are
cycle on and off when call for.

I preheat or precool with commercial power by using a transfer switch when
park.  Most of the time I can drive to my destination without using on board
power.

My town is about 50 percent up hill driving. There is a limit switch on the
accelerator control unit, that turns off the control power to a bank of relays.
 These relays control the accessories circuits that I choose to come on.

Going up hill, the heavy duty accessories are off, and going down hill they
come on again.  A friend of mine was riding with me, a electrical engineer, and
I pointed out the battery ampere indicates 0 amperes, while the
invertor/alternator is providing power while the EV is going down hill or
rolling to a stop.

Save the REGEN a trip to the main battery, by not sending the current to the
main battery, but directly to the accessories when needed.  Many cases my main
battery is not discharge enough to accept the full REGEN power.  The motor
controller used to be a Cable Form unit, which use a very large resistor for
REGEN Braking.

THIS WAS NOT GOOD, WHEN TRYING TO BRAKE DOWN A VERY STEEP ICY HILL, WHICH
CAUSES THE EV TO GO SIDEWAYS!!!

If I am at a long stop, I turn on the idle circuit.   If I find that the stop I
am coming to is just a stop and go, I will turn on the idle on before I stop,
so the motor does not go to 0 rpm, but leaving it at 300 rpm for a Warp 11
motor,  This prevents the high start up current of the motor.   I gain about 1
amp hour per mile when this is done.

A lot of times, I have to stop at a light on a steep up hill road.  There are
cars right behind me.   With a manual transmission, holding the EV with a brake
and trying to start up slipping the clutch, the EV will coast back a bit.
Sometimes I have to the accelerator harder which causes a big bang in the
driveline.

Using a very heavy duty modified automatic transmission with a low lock up
torque converter, I can hold the position of the EV on the hill and have a very
smooth start up.  The difference in motor ampere may be 800 motor ampere with
the manual to about 100 motor ampere with the automatic.

Instead of using 4 ah per mile with the manual,  I now using between 2 and 3 ah
per mile.

Roland