I would agree. Lower priced mass produced commodity AC appliances and lower
wiring/switch/outlet costs will make up for the inverter inefficiencies. Keep
in mind the amount of useful energy that you need to get out of a system and
then choose components that will get you there. Max technical efficiency (kWh
usefully used vs kWh produced by array, or kWh produced/sq. m) is unlikely to
match max economic efficiency ($/kWh), rather there will be a range of choices
with tradeoffs, some large, some small.

Even if you increase the size of your PV array by 10% to offset the
inverter...you're only talking two extra 250 watt modules (500 W total) on 5 kW
system. Parts cost can be under $1000 here ($2/watt). (You could also try
increasing the array size to offset the losses from using a bit smaller DC
wiring, if you really didn't want AC involved. There is going to be a financial
sweet spot between various array sizes and the losses associated with a chosen
wire size.)

Another consideration: future inspectors and owners will likely appreciate the
use of standardized equipment and techniques.

The math may be a bit different if the electric loads are minimal (e.g. only
efficient lights) and/or distances short (small cabin/trailer).