> The only time high voltage helps is when you need to have long wire
runs...

The operative word  is "long"  And when you wire a house for every room
and for every appliance and for every outlet (whether used fully or not)
then every wire is "long".

The academic argument below is like saying there is nothing wrong with
falling out of an airplane.  Its only when you hit the ground that you
have a problem...

Bob