History tells us that -- for better and/or worse -- what governments do
makes a big difference in whether EVs advance or retreat.

Bruce is 100% correct that GM's specific history predicts their current and
future involvement with EVs.  As I said a couple of weeks ago, I'm still
waiting for that Chevette EV that GM promised in 1978.  I guess I'll be
waiting a lot longer.

(Disclosure: That's a rhetorical statement.  Personally, I wouldn't buy any
GM vehicle at any price under any circumstances.  Also, having known someone
who owned a 1980 Chevette: yikes, noooooooooo  ....... )

All that said, unless the state or fed legislators make it illegal, the sure
way to drive electric is and probably aways will be to build your own.
Normally that would entail converting an ICEV.

I think I can safely say that EV conversion has been the EVDL's largest and
most critical mission since it was first launched at sjsu.edu 25 years ago.
If and when no automaker will sell you an EV here in the US, or you can't
get the type of vehicle you need with a motor under the hood, drop on by the
EVDL.  We'll be here to help.

David Roden - Akron, Ohio, USA
EVDL Administrator