On 20 Nov 2016 at 11:43, Cor van de Water via EV wrote:

>  If China and India and Europe and several countries of S America and
> Asia are moving to electric transportation then it is pretty irrelevant
> what happens in USA ...

I wouldn't go so far as to say "irrelevant," because the US is (at least for
the moment) a pretty large market for new vehicles.  But it's far from the
only market.  Vehicle demand is trending up in places we would have called
"third world" just a few years ago, and some of those places think that EVs
might be a good idea.

It's possible that success in rolling back EV demand in the US might prompt
the automakers to try similar strategies in other countries. Some of them
will no doubt be open to it.  Early UK legislative proposals after the
"Brexit" vote had to do with weakening environmental laws, some of which
were originally passed to comply with EU regulations.

That is likely to spread.  Radical political changes have already taken
place in Hungary and Poland.  "Brexit" style changes are also somwhere
between possible and likely over the next few elections in France, Austria,
Germany, Netherlands, and Sweden.  We could see the weakening or even the
complete breakup of the EU.  That would be a dismaying setback for
environmental law and for EVs.

I guess this all sounds kind of dire (just call me Mr Worst Case Scenario),
but still my hope is that EVs are close to some kind of critical mass
internationally.

If that's true, EVs WILL be manufactured around the world.  Despite Elon
Musk's confidence it's still a tough slog for a small upstart automaker
(look what happened to Pivco / Think), so let's hope the EV manufacturers'
list continues to include Tesla.

Which of these EVs are offered in the US will depend on many factors, from
perceived demand and profitability to impending US protectionism and
economic isolation. For example, tightening US FMVSS while loosening
emissions regulations would favor large US ICEVs at the expense of imports,
smaller vehicles, and EVs.

> besides a repeat of the 70's where the USA automakers were wiped away
> by events beyond their control due to their lack of preparation for
> change (not entirely unlike Dinosaurs).

I think that's likely, but who knows when?  OPEC was pretty successful in
throttling the US with their oil blockade, but that was 40+ years ago, and
our petroleum sources are more diverse now.  There's also that protectionist
sentiment I mentioned above.

OTOH, big energy companies already have plenty of market control, and I sure
don't see that diminishing.  I can imagine an internal US version of OPEC,
or an Enron style cartel, manufacturing an artifical fuel shortage for the
sake of their profits, just as well as I can imagine an actual depletion of
reserves.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/California_electricity_crisis

Also, weakening US MPG and energy efficiency requirements could trigger a
small orgy of energy consumption here.  That would hasten the "day of
petroleum reckoning."  (It would also be pretty bad news for the rest of the
world.)

Interesting times, indeed.

David Roden - Akron, Ohio, USA
EVDL Administrator