On 25 Dec 2016 at 13:03, Cor van de Water via EV wrote:

> Even though the (cold-exposed) breaker might not trip, please remember the
> purpose of the breaker is to protect the *wire* after the breaker from
> overload.

The breaker is also intended to protect the receptacle and connected
equipment.  That's why a 30a recept is protected at 30a.

It'a also the reason that plugs and receptacles are matched by rating:  you
can't plug a 50a plug into a 30a receptacle and vice versa.  For example, if
you could connect an appliance or EVSE with a 30a rated plug and cord to a
receptacle protected by a 50a breaker, the breaker wouldn't protect the
connected plug and cord properly.  They could get hot and melt, causing a
fire, even if the wiring to the receptacle remained cool and save and the
breaker didn't trip.  (I hope that's clear, I don't think I described it all
that well.)

The code makes an exception to this plug/receptacle matching requirement for
circuits <= 20a.  I assume this is because of the overall lower power
available in those circuits, but I don't write the code.

David Roden - Akron, Ohio, USA
EVDL Administrator