On 25 Dec 2016 at 14:56, Cor van de Water via EV wrote:

> ... the 2011/2012 Leaf ... is specifically aimed at the European situation
> where most plugs and circuits are rated and fused to 230V 16A which
> means a max 3.7kW so a 3.3kW charger maxes out a standard wall plug in
> Europe ...

This reminds me of something I was reading recently that gave me pause.

In Spain, domestic electricity is demand-rated.  That is, the higher the
possible household demand, the more you pay per kWh.  Demand is determined
by the conductors feeding your house and by your main breaker.

The source I was reading said that to keep the rates low, many Spanish homes
have a total capacity of just 3.3kW!  (Compare that with the US, where most
new homes now have 96kW service, and some huge ones have double that.)

The usual increment for requesting increased capacity from the power
authority is 1.1kW.  You'd have to upgrade a 3.3kW home to at least 4.4kW
and more likely 6.6kW to even charge your older Leaf at home, never mind a
newer one with a faster charger.  And then you'd be paying more for ALL your
electricity, not just that used to charge your EV.

Combine that with the fact that off-street parking is less common in
European cities, and you have some obstacles to EV uptake, at least in
Spain.

I guess that means that paid-by-the-session commercial charging would be
much more important there.

Maybe one of our Spanish members has some thoughts on this.

David Roden - Akron, Ohio, USA
EVDL Administrator