12 volts might not be enough to energize the Curtis logic circuits properly.

An incandescent light bulb (40-150 Watt) is your friend.  First, connect it
across the controller input terminals.  If it lights at all, it should be
just for a short time.  (You are making sure the capacitors inside the
controller are discharged.)

Connect the bulb across the fuse holder and pull in the contactor.  It
should go bright for some seconds and then fade to black as the controller's
capacitors charge.  If it stays bright, the controller is most likely
shorted (either through to the motor, or across its input).

If that test passes, put the fuse in place.  Apply normal input voltage but
connect the bulb in place of the motor.  It should brighten and dim with the
throttle potentiometer position.  If not, you have a problem in the
controller.

Others with real EE background may have further suggestions for you.  Good
luck!

David Roden - Akron, Ohio, USA
EVDL Administrator