On 27 Dec 2016 at 13:06, Jay Summet via EV wrote:

> Unfortunately, this probably means I have a motor short....  It measured 0.1
> ohms, which seems a bit too low for an FB1-4001A.

Don't assume the worst yet!

I've never actually measured the armature resistance of a series motor, but
that doesn't sound out of line to me. Assuming a 144v system,  I = E/R = 144
/ 0.1 == 1440 amps, which is not an unreasonable starting current for a
series motor.

Put the trans in neutral, set the brake, and (just to be sure) jack up the
driving end of the vehicle so it can't possibly take off.  Bypass your
controller and connect 6 or 12 volts directly to the motor (or rather
through a fuse or breaker and contactor).  See if it starts and runs OK.  At
that low a voltage, it's very unlikely to overspeed with no load.

Also check your traction circuit connections.  Especially if you have a high
resistance (maybe corroded) connection to that fuse, or with the fuse itself
os its clips, it could have heated up significantly while you were driving.
When a fuse is already hot, a current surge such as you get with
acceleration is more apt to blow it.

David Roden - Akron, Ohio, USA
EVDL Administrator