On 12/27/2016 02:42 PM, EVDL Administrator via EV wrote:
On 27 Dec 2016 at 14:31, Jay Summet via EV wrote:

I'm a little hesitant to suggest this since there's some hazard from molten
copper snot if it lets go, but you might try replacing the fuse with a small-
gauge copper wire -- maybe #16 or so.  That will pass enough current to get
an unloaded motor turning (careful when in neutral, don't let it overspeed).
 However, if the current goes to infinity, it should (I hope) burn out
pronto, before anything else awful happens.

Keep a fire extinguisher handy if you try this ...

I had thought about a sacrificial low amperage wire fuse, and with your seconding of the motion (and potential diagnostic benefits) made me decide to go for it.

I used a 18 ga lamp cord in place of the fuse and tried to spin the motor in neutral.

Unfortunately, the wire immediately separated with a pop and a small amount of smoke from melting insulation. (I felt a little let down as I was standing by with both a fire extinguisher and open water bottle....but I guess less excitement is better overall ;>)

So I think it's safe to say that my motor is drawing too many amps and I'll have to tow the truck home and figure out why.

Jay