At 01:08 AM 2/28/2017, EVDL Administrator via EV wrote:
On 27 Feb 2017 at 20:16, Jay Summet via EV wrote:

> My plan was to hit it with a bit of sand paper just before connecting.

Again, I'm not an expert, but I think I remember reading that sandpaper
isn't so good for this.  It roughens the surfaces, and that actually reduces
the heat transfer.

Someone correct me if this is wrong, but I think a very fine abrasive
compound on the mating surfaces might improve their flatness and fit, and
thus the heat transfer.  Maybe something like jeweler's rouge?  And I think
you'd probably still need heatsink compound.

David Roden - Akron, Ohio, USA
EVDL Administrator

David,
You are correct. A rough surface can reduce the heat transfer.
The primary purpose of thermal interface material is to fill the microscopic hills, dales, and pits in the base of the heat sink and the device to which it will be mounted. This is so no air is trapped which would block the transfer of heat from the device to the heat sink.

For maximum heat transfer, the thermal interface material needs to be as thin as possible. The flatter and more polished are BOTH surfaces the less (thickness) interface material is needed. Polishing both surfaces should help but you will still need some sort of interface material.

The secondary purpose might be for electrical insulation between device and heat sink.

Al Lumas
Retired heat sink field sales engineer.