From: EV [mailto:ev-boun...@lists.evdl.org] On Behalf Of Peri Hartman via EV
Sent: Thursday, May 18, 2017 10:03 AM
To: Electric Vehicle Discussion List
Subject: Re: [EVDL] EVLN: Low-mileage Leaf EV glut

With all the used Leafs on and coming on the market, I see a potential
retrofit market available to someone entrepreneurial. These cars have
relatively low mileage, perhaps as low as 20K miles, and are hardly worn out
other than the battery.

It appears unlikely that Nissan will supply a battery replacement, other
than replacing with the original 24kwh (or maybe 30kwh).

If someone can figure out a way to put a 50-60kwh battery in the existing
tray, maybe with cylindrical cells like Tesla, these cars could be resold.
There are over 100,000 used leafs in the US. That may be big enough number
to setup a mass production battery plant.

Used Leafs are selling for, what, $7K - 10K. It's my assumption that the
speculated 200 mile Leaf will sell for around $37K minus the federal tax
credit. I would think that there would be a market for a used, upgraded to
200 mile range, Leaf and it would easily sell for $20k+. Just my guess. With
an efficient process to build a new battery, can this be profitable?

Peri