From: EV [mailto:ev-boun...@lists.evdl.org] On Behalf Of Cor van de
Water via EV
Sent: Friday, July 07, 2017 7:55 PM
To: Chris Meier
Cc: Electric Vehicle Discussion List
Subject: Re: [EVDL] Weird Nissan Leaf behavior: 3rd charging lightblinks
after new pack install: cold weather package...

Chris:
1- battery heaters (originally 2011 Leafs have a 3rd battery connector
for this but apparently since 2012 the battery heaters are controlled by
the LBC temp measurement and then engaging a small contactor to send the
HV to the heaters internally, so no 3rd connector and external relay,
which makes the battery indistinguishable as whether it has heaters,
other than from the part nr. Apparently also the LBC programming is
different)

2- seat heaters
3- steering wheel heater
Hope this clarifies,
Cor

> On Jul 7, 2017, at 7:35 PM, Chris Meier <m...@comcast.net> wrote:
>
> Cor, could you please describe the options/features/differences that
make up the cold weather package?

<ev@lists.evdl.org> wrote:
>> Exactly,
>>
>> Either I will find a way to re-program my current LBC to support the
>> cold weather package
>>
>> or I will have to find an LBC from a cold weather package battery (I
>> might have one by next week)
>>
>> and I have even considered adding a little circuit that disables one
>> contactor as soon as the ignition is off,
>>
>> but I figured that it will need to be enabled when either Charging is

>> active or Ignition is on, so it needs to
>>
>> combine those two signals and then use that combined signal to enable

>> a contactor.
>>
>> This will likely throw an error when the car tries to charge the 12V
>> battery from the HV pack.
>>
>> And I do not know if the car will turn off and sleep if it can't
>> charge the 12V battery,
>>
>> so it might drain the 12V battery instead of the HV pack.
>>
>> When putting a disconnect on the 12V battery, you also make it
>> impossible to open (or lock) the car with the FOB,
>>
>> so every time you want to use the car, you need to pull out the
>> mechanical key, open the driver door
>>
>> (the only door with a mechanical lock), pull the hood release, open
>> the hood, reconnect the 12V and close hood.
>>
>> When parking the car for a longer period, you would need to: stop the

>> car (not turn off) and pull hood release,
>>
>> open hood and disconnect 12V battery, close hood, then get in the
>> car, lock all doors manually, raise windows, turn car off so it dies,
>>
>> get out and then lock driver door manually with key.
>>
>> Not to mention setting time and radio stations...
>>
>> There must be a easier way...
>>
>> (Of course, I should have matched the car with cold weather package
>> with the battery, if I had known in advance....)
>>
>> Cor.

home