From: EV [mailto:ev-boun...@lists.evdl.org] On Behalf Of Cor van de Water
via EV
Sent: Monday, July 10, 2017 7:44 PM
To: Electric Vehicle Discussion List
Subject: Re: [EVDL] ? Is this really a Smart Fortwo ED EV that burnt to
acrisp ?

Not true, the EVSE is supposed to limit the charging current to what is safe
to draw from the electrical connection.
For example, a 240V 30A circuit must be protected by the EVSE telling the
car that it can only draw 24A (80% of 30A) continuous.
The EVSE needs to select the proper duty cycle of the pilot signal to convey
this to the EV.
If a 30A circuit is attached to an EVSE that expects a 40A circuit, it will
tell the EV to draw up to 32A, overloading the circuit.

Besides a mis-match like that (which I have once encountered myself) there
are other concerns, such as a worn, damaged or corroded contact in the
charging plug, either of the EVSE or the car.
And then there is the ever-present danger of a failing wire in the cord.
This is not exclusively a problem from EV and EVSE, as my colleague had a
small fire in his house this last winter due to the wire at the back of the
wall plug starting to break internally and the remaining strands overheated
to the point of setting the cord on fire.

I have had similar experience with an outlet in a previous home, where the
wire coming out of the wall probably was nicked before being attached, so
after successfully washing loads of laundry for years (water was heated
electrically so the washer drew about 12 Amps continuously for an hour or so
during a hot wash
cycle) suddenly one day the bathroom filled with smoke and the wire inside
the outlet burned clean through.
There had been no movement of that wire, so no gradual breakage - this was
purely a resistive heating induced failure.

Besides the EVSE itself, the circuit it is fed with and the charging plug
contacts, also the circuitry inside the car (AC powered HV battery charger)
can fail, for example an improperly tightened wire or a loss of water
cooling overheating the charger, which subsequently fails and burns...
So many different ways to let the magic smoke out...
Cor.