>> When I called smart 2 years ago they said that they track used cars and
>> force the new owner to either pay an additional $5k

You guys are thinking about these like capital assets, rather than consumables.

If someone asks you for $5k to fix your Smart, you get another newer Smart for
$4500, and part out the old one.  Smarts are _great_, and I love mine, but it
started to give me any sort of trouble, there’s no way I’d let it force me into
making _maintenance_ payments, any more than I’d buy a maintenance contract or
pay for repairs on a toaster.

                                -Bill