Here's what my local expert says:

"Go take a look at the Smart Club of America forums because this has been
discussed and Mercedes Benz is not only turning off that program but they have
no interest in going after the vehicles that came off lease. In fact the legal
responsibility is on whoever bought the vehicle at auction they signed the
paperwork and they're the ones that are on the hook for it, if it's changed
hands at a couple dealerships you got nothing to worry about. I want to say
yours the battery was bought out right because the guy who originally owned it
lived in Sanford and that's why it's got such high mileage"

I will check out the forums when I have a chance.

No, it does not have a way to shut it off remotely. I suppose they could try to
keep the car if I took it in for service, but I don't think they would have any
legal grounds, since I have no contract with them.

Bill