"how to make a viable solar vehicle"

I'd suggest starting by looking at the vehicles in
https://www.worldsolarchallenge.org/ ; they are averaging more than 40mph.
(Good article about advancements over time at
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-10-06/world-solar-challenge-innovation-technology-outstrips-dreams/9019908
)

Also look into the "Cruiser Class", which are more realistic - for example
having enough interior space to carry 5 people.