in case, or not, please remember the guy who drove the "Solar Taxi" 40,000+ km around the world. a small 2 seater EV, towing about a 30ft+ (~9-10m) trailor with PV panels and a single heated battery.
On Friday, December 29, 2017, 10:42:02 PM EST, Mark Abramowitz via EV <firstname.lastname@example.org> wrote: SO much negativity on this list towards someone that just asked a simple question, and acknowledged the challenges and issues up front. Personally, I applaud the initiative and willingness to tilt at technological, economic, and other assorted windmills. As my Tai Kwon Do instructor used to say,"impossible today, possible tomorrow." Sent from my iPhone > On Dec 29, 2017, at 12:20 PM, Bill Dube via EV <email@example.com> wrote: > > I agree 100%. > Folks forget that it takes significant energy to tow even a small trailer. > Much more than one would think. Probably more energy than the panels produce, > especially at highway speeds. > > Best to leave them on the roof of your house, or put them on a "solar shed" > for your car to park under at work. > > Bill D. > > On 12/29/2017 8:27 AM, Robert Bruninga via EV wrote: >>> Personally, I think a mobile array for a vehicle is a fools errand, or >>> maybe a pass-time for the independently wealthy. >> >> Its sure is. I have solar panels all over the roof of my two priuses. I >> tell people that it makes 0.1% economic sense to do it. >> >> The smaller panels that fit the roof of a car cost TEN times as much per >> watt as the big ones on my house. And my house has ONE HUNDRED TIMES more >> surface area. Therefore the value of solar on my car is one thousand times >> less practical. >> >> ALso, WHen I tow even my small 6 foot solar trailer (300 watts) behind my >> prius, my gas mileage goes down from 55 MPG down to 42 MPG. Meanwhile it >> is only producing enough power to gain only a single 1 MPG even on the best >> summer day. >> >> So again, the math makes no sense whatsoever. >> >> The value to me of my solar panels is to have power in the field while >> parked at camping and Ham radio events. >> >> Makes NO SENSE for traction and propulsion. See my solar car and trailer. >> http://aprs.org/FD-Prius-Power.html >> >> Now putting solar panels on top of an RV that is used 1% of the time and >> spends the other 99% of the time plugged into one's own home grid-tied, >> does make sense. Since it is providing full retail electricity 99% of the >> time while parked. >> >> Bob, WB4PRR > > _______________________________________________ > UNSUBSCRIBE: http://www.evdl.org/help/index.html#usub > http://lists.evdl.org/listinfo.cgi/ev-evdl.org > Please discuss EV drag racing at NEDRA (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEDRA) > _______________________________________________ UNSUBSCRIBE: http://www.evdl.org/help/index.html#usub http://lists.evdl.org/listinfo.cgi/ev-evdl.org Please discuss EV drag racing at NEDRA (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEDRA) -------------- next part -------------- An HTML attachment was scrubbed... URL: <http://lists.evdl.org/private.cgi/ev-evdl.org/attachments/20171230/7a38cbd1/attachment.html> _______________________________________________ UNSUBSCRIBE: http://www.evdl.org/help/index.html#usub http://lists.evdl.org/listinfo.cgi/ev-evdl.org Please discuss EV drag racing at NEDRA (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEDRA)