Speaking of EVs in NS, I just saw the announcement there will finally be a province-wide EV network (12 stations) by summer 2018. Hmmm, may finally be able to take the trip from Ontario to NS in our 2017 Leaf this year.

Wind power continues to grow in NS (and the winds seem to be getting stronger in recent years), and Bay of Fundy tidal remains to be tapped in a significant way.

Darryl McMahon

On 1/3/2018 10:38 AM, ev-requ...@lists.evdl.org wrote:
Message: 10
Date: Wed, 3 Jan 2018 11:38:30 -0400
From: Dan Baker<vmd...@gmail.com>
To: Electric Vehicle Discussion List<ev@lists.evdl.org>
Subject: Re: [EVDL] Good News: EVs Are Not Crashing the Grid

So we have an interesting conundrum in my province (Nova Scotia).  NS
decided to concentrate their efforts on saving energy instead of cleaning
it up first.  This makes sense as the most efficient watt is the watt that
was never used which I agree with.  They created an organization called
Efficiency Nova Scotia, which helps our sole power company's residential
and business customers save energy with credits for retrofits on lighting,
industrial equipment, even data centers in which I do audits for.  It has
worked great - the province is using 9% less power since 2008 despite high
growth in many areas.  The power company is happy because it doesn't have
to add more infrastructure, natural gas plants, etc.  The problem of course
is when we start using electric cars, will that 9% disappear with the
additional 10% from EVs?  How will Efficiency NS work if the grid's
requirements increase?  Worse is the fact that the energy created here to
charge electric vehicles still comes mostly from polluting sources - see
article here
http://halifaxchronicle.can.newsmemory.com/publink.php?shareid=034660fc3
There is a somewhat valid argument that an electric car used in NS isn't
that much better than a hybrid or even a gas car which lends some minds
down here to think an EV really isn't worth it to buy or even give an
incentive for.  I have argued there is a lot more EV value than just C02 -
where it is emitted, the lower cost of ownership, our infrastructure and
attracting young talent will eventually suffer if we don't keep up with
this modernization.

Would love to hear your feedback!

Cheers
Dan

--
Darryl McMahon
Freelance Project Manager (sustainable systems)