FYI - Down-shifting can be done a lot faster than up-shifting with just synchros, if you "goose" the throttle to bring the motor up to speed with the transmission.

I have no problem downshifting without a clutch using the "stomp on the throttle a few times to match the motor speed" trick. Typically when you downshift it is because you are slowing down, so not having acceleration during the shifting process isn't an issue.

The upshift without a clutch is much more annoying, because you have to wait for the motor to slow down to match speed, and when you are upshifting it's typically because you want to go faster...so you are coasting along with no acceleration for 5 seconds holding up traffic. [I've considered adding a "regen" alternator to the front shaft of my motor with a button on the shifter that I could trigger so I can "order" the motor to slow down on command...also so that I can get a little bit of regen on my DC motor....]

Jay