Jay Summet via EV wrote:
FYI - Down-shifting can be done a lot faster than up-shifting with just
synchros, if you "goose" the throttle to bring the motor up to speed
with the transmission.

You'll get good at it with practice, too. My ComutaVan was clutcless, and I got good at shifting by ear. It's also a useful skill for old cars and motorcycles, which often did not have synchronizers.

The upshift without a clutch is much more annoying... so you are
coasting along with no acceleration for 5 seconds holding up traffic.

Yes indeed. However, it's much better if you leave out the flywheel. My ComutaVan had no flywheel or clutch assembly at all, and my LeCar EV has a severely lightened flywheel.

I've considered adding a "regen" alternator to the front shaft of my
motor with a button on the shifter that I could trigger so I can "order"
the motor to slow down on command...also so that I can get a little bit
of regen on my DC motor....]

I considered it as well, but don't have the room. But many controllers have "plug braking", which in essense shorts the motor to make it slow down faster. Plug braking also prevents the motor from violently becoming a generator if it is rotated backwards while it is powered forwards.
--
Engineers like to solve problems. If there are no problems handily
available, they will create their own problems. -- Scott Adams