ROBERT via EV wrote:
Lee, you may be close to a low cost solution.  I need to look at the design and
a modification.  Thanks, Bob.

Well, it's an "open source" design <http://sunrise-ev.com/balancer.htm>. The complete schematics and software are all on the web. The earlier rev.A version would be simpler to build yourself. Also quite a number of people have built their own versions, with different micros, relays, features, etc.

The big 30 amp relays are the biggest cost item. If you don't need to charge/discharge at high current, you can save a lot by using smaller relays.

For those that find relays "out of fashion", you can use solid-state relays. Just be aware that they are more expensive, and have some safety concerns (they tend to fail SHORTED).

I have been considering renting or leasing my battery balancers. That might satisfy those that don't want to spend any money or make one themselves. But I tried it once; and it took 6 months to get it back. :-/

--
"Verschlimmbessern" (German, verb) - To make something worse by
trying to improve it. (English translation: "Microsoft"?)