Peri Hartman wrote:

> Hmm, maybe cost savings of putting a grounded shield around the motor
> and controller. For the AM radio, what could the cost be? $1.00?

Good point; perhaps the real cost savings isn't the radio itself, but that its
absence allows them to cut corners (and cost) elsewhere on EMI measures?

That said, my conversion doesn't need shielded conductors or a shield around
the controller in order for AM to be perfectly usable, so I'm not sure where
they would cut costs such that they needed to eliminate AM capability to "hide"
their cost saving measures?  Commercial EVs pretty much always have the
controller in an aluminum enclosure, so it should be largely shielded for
"free"; I doubt we'll see controllers in plastic boxes very soon ;^>

Cheers,

Roger.