We don't have to guess at the California electricity mix.

https://www.energy.ca.gov/almanac/electricity_data/total_system_power.html

(rounding to nearest percent for simplicity)

29% from renewables other than large hydro

15% from large hydro

9% from nuclear (not renewable, but reasonably low emissions impact from an existing plant - final disposition of spent fuel still to be solved)

4% from coal

34% from natural gas (fossil)

9% unidentified

That's what shows up on the grid. It does not include those producing off-grid, or generating for in-house use (e.g. household PV used behind the meter).

Greener grid means greener EV use.

As for using hydrogen as a transportation fuel for light vehicles in typical missions (commuting, errand running, occasional longer trips), I looked into this early in this century, and kept some track since. Things have not changed much on the technology side in the intervening period for hydrogen vehicles, other than using bigger storage at higher pressure.

Darryl McMahon
Author, award-winning book: The Emperor's New Hydrogen Economy (2006)
(on digest mode, so don't expect quick responses)