At this point in their venture, it seems online sales will be fine. After all, they have back orders they are struggling to meet, even for the S, I think.

However, at some point when they have real competition and their production has caught up, they may want to change their mind. Buying cars, while not an impulse purchase, certainly relies on touchy-feely appeal. Once a buyer sees a car, and a good sales person realizes the "connection", there's a process you can't replicate online.

Peri

------ Original Message ------
From: "Willie via EV" <ev@lists.evdl.org>
To: ev@lists.evdl.org
Cc: "Willie" <wmckem...@gmail.com>
Sent: 10-Mar-19 5:18:13 AM
Subject: Re: [EVDL] tesla to close stores, sell online only

On 3/9/19 2:12 PM, Mark Abramowitz via EV wrote:
I think that Musk was smoking something.

Personally, I would NEVER buy a car without driving it (or at least sit in)
first. The only exception would be for brand new clean technology vehicles that
I *knew* I wanted - think EV1, RAV-4 EV,  Civic GX, Tesla Roadster, Toyota
Mirai, Honda Clarity, etc.

That sounds similar to Koch FUD.  It is hard for me to believe that you are not
familiar with Tesla's path to success and their accomplishments. You know no
Tesla owners?

You ignore several factors, including the bullet proof guarantee Peter
describes.  Also, that Tesla has quite successfully already proven a dealer
network unnecessary.  Many states, including mine, prohibit manufacturer owned
dealerships; in those states, all sales have been and continue to be online.
With that experience, Tesla is well aware of the value, or lack of value, of
dealers.  As you should know, Tesla has recruited owners to serve as a sales
force.  For the most part, owners are quite willing to serve without
compensation though in the past they have received some compensation.

Personal experience:  My first Tesla arrived in front of my house in 2013 on a car
transporter.  I had never before SEEN a Tesla, much less driven one.  I was not
disappointed.  Indeed, I was thrilled and never regretted the purchase.  I believe we
ordered our Leaf in 2010 and took delivery in 2011.  Sometime after the reservation, we
we offered a pre-purchase test drive in a demo but did not find the schedule convenient.
Our first Leaf drive was in our own.  At the time we were not disappointed.  Again,
"thrilled" would be a good descriptor.  Coming from a 150+ mile conversion with
an amp-hour counter, I WAS disappointed in the sorry Leaf instrumentation.  But, that was
not a deal breaker. It was two years before I discovered that Nissan had so screwed Leaf
buyers with a miserable short lived battery which they refused to support.

But I’m an air quality guy, and an early adopter of these technologies.

Which adds to my surprise that you are so Tesla unaware.