Quoting Willie via EV <ev@lists.evdl.org>:

On 4/1/19 3:48 PM, Ron Solberg via EV wrote:

We  like it as it is.

Well.... back to your question.  Presumed to be "Can I clean up a square wave inverter power to something acceptable to my onboard Tesla charger?"  I'm out of my depth.  Surely Lee has ideas.

In the past, I believe I've seen him recommend a motor-generator to change the characteristics of alternating current.  Perhaps a motor that is happy with your existing inverter that drives a generator that gives power acceptable to the Tesla charger.  I have no experience but have the impression that that might be a big, heavy, and expensive solution.

You might also add a better alternator that is powered from your battery pack.  That is, in parallel with your existing inverter.

Thanks to your sharing your PowerWall success story. I am considering a different direction. I will try to keep it short. I rent houses and in 2010 using ClipperCreek CS80 EVSE, we added a charging service. We only charged 5 Teslas Model S cars before nearby Sioux Falls SD got their Superchargers. our max is only 20KW or about 50 Miles/hour of charge. I am still optimistic I could add a Power Wall to one of my units across the street(If I could get one), and forget using an OutBack inverter with an L16 battery pack.

Just to satisfy my interest:  Is this a off grid place?  Occupied year round?  Primarily AC demand?  Or DC?  48v battery bank?

Our home is Earth Sheltered, built in 1970, added a 10KW Jacobs Wind Plant in 1982 that would run the meter backwards. The power company up until now was not very helpful. A couple of years later we sold that plant and got our money back. While we have not given up entirely on wind power, we down-sized and went to a 1950 3K 110V DC Jacobs, using 20 6V golf cart batteries. That led to our present stand alone tracking PV system. We have always had the Grid and it serves about half of our use. As you know, the grid as a battery is a big positive. We like wood heat and other simple things so we pay the price of being a bit independent of the Social Fabric Rules. If our proposed added system went with the Grid PowerWall system on our business  across the street where we can charge EVs, we would not need the 48V L16 battery and still be able to charge our Tesla off the sun.

After working with Grid/Wind systems since the 1980s, we have determined that Grid intertie does not work for  us. Likewise, A Tesla Model 3 might not work for many other folks but does for us.

What grid tie problems have you encountered?

In the first contract the power company wanted to come into our house at anytime to inspect the system. We needed expensive insurance to protect them. They were slow to act and not friendly.  That has changed with our present company who just bought a 2019 Nissan Leaf EV and had $3500 rebate added to the $7500 federal from a $29,900 Leaf price. A Time of Use charging plan is also available.

I can not imagine that a Tesla would not work for everyone.  Due to our housing and charging business a financial incentive help us.

Also, when I asked about the PowerWall at Eden Prairie,MN  I was told they did not work outside the Metro area.

If you talked to Tesla, you should consult an installer.  I ordered a PW from Tesla when they were first offered over two years ago.  I'm still waiting for it.  Last year, I talked to an installer who is able to buy PWs from Tesla and had one installed within three months.  My second PW from an installer is scheduled for installation in May.