Quoting Lee Hart via EV <ev@lists.evdl.org>:

CHARGING OUR  EV OFF PV PANELS

Can you offer any help with two questions related to charging our Tesla Model 3 off our Tracking 3K PV system?

1. Since our PV system inverter does not produce a sine wave it  has been suggested that I might  go through a filter to make the car accept it. Do you have any idea this might work?

2.  This summer we are making plans to add a 4K stationary PV set using an OutBack sine wave inverter to our house.  The present system works well so are wondering about  using a transfer switch between the two independent PV sets.  As we now must manually manage the power for our house anyway, that should be helpful by giving us more degrees of freedom as our usage varies.

Thanks
brucedp5 via EV wrote:
it boils down to how many range-miles you have left, how many
range-miles you need to put back-in to get to the next EVSE, and how much
time you have to charge?

Overnight sleep or @work, plan to charge for at least 7 hours. L1 might
regain you (3.5mph*7= ) ~25 miles of range.

It's not quite that bad. Our Nissan Leaf gets about 4 miles per KWH. L1 charges at about 1.44 KW. That's about 5.6 miles range per hour, or 40 miles for 7 hours of charging.

Charging efficiency will reduce this a bit. But then, most full-time jobs will have your EV charging for 8 or more hours a day.

*Only buy an EV with a L2-6kW (j1772) charging capability that also has a
L3(quick) charging port.

Maybe if you live in California. Where I live, there aren't any L3 EVSE's within range of my EVs.

My home EVSE preference:: have a L2-6kW (j1172) or a L2-10kW (Tesla) hpwc (=
no surprises you can always get a good/solid charge).

I do 99% of my charging on L1, in my own garage. That's been fine for me!

--
Fools ignore complexity. Pragmatists suffer it. The wise avoid it.
Geniuses remove it. -- Alan Perlis, "Epigrams on Programming"

Links:
------
[1] http://www.sunrise-ev.com