On 7/18/19 7:43 AM, Willie via EV wrote:

On 7/18/19 6:33 AM, Jay Summet via EV wrote:

*-Because a heat pump system is using energy to "move" existing heat, it gives you 400% (or more!) efficiencies. [i.e. you use 800 watts to drive a compressor and fans, but get 3,200 watts of heat into the tank, while cooling the area around the water heater.]

I haven't shopped for heat pump water heaters.  It looks like I should. Does the "800 watts" mean that they will operate on 120vac?  I have recently resolved to stop using my propane water heater but do not have 240vac wiring to the water heater closet area.

I was using the 800 watts x4 3200 watts as an example, I suspect they may operate in that general range when using the heat pump, but you'd have to research a specific model to find the actual usage.

They are more expensive than restive element water heaters.  ($1,300-$2,000)

On average, their current draw is lower than a regular electric water heater (when using the heat pump) but I believe that most of them are designed to work on 240 volts to replace a regular electric water heater.

If you have a small (20 amp?) line to your hot water heater room, you may be able to change it from 120v to 240v (if you don't need a neutral), but I think you will probably have to pony up and upgrade the electrical run to your hot water heater (if switching from propane) as some (most?) of them have "backup" heating elements that they can turn on if they need to heat a lot of water quickly which means that their peak draw may be the same as a resistive hot water heater.

Jay