On Tue, Aug 20, 2019, 18:04 Willie via EV <ev@lists.evdl.org> wrote:

> On 8/20/19 4:12 PM, EVDL Administrator via EV wrote:
>
> > The idea of using an EV for backup power is eminently sensible.  A
> 50/60Hz,
> > 100/120/240v (depending on where the car is sold) inverter operating from
> > the traction battery should be a factory option on every EV, IMO.
>
> Agreed!
>
> I can't cite a reference right now but I have read that a Model 3 tear
> down has revealed that the power electronics includes a gridtie and
> microgrid inverter.
>
> So far, Tesla has resisted use of their cars for V2G and V2H.  But, it
> appears they are prepared to make the jump.  Very likely through nothing
> more than a software update.  I envision/hope it will go like this:
> 1) Pay a fee, perhaps ~$2k
> 2) Receive and install an update and follow instruction:
> 3) Poke some icons on the display
> 4) Plug into your 10kw-20kw Wall Connector as if to charge
> 5) Switch off your main breaker
> 6) Car confirms no grid and starts a micro grid.
> 7) Enjoy 10kw-20kw of backup power.
>
> Then, people like me who mess with trying to access the battery via the
> DC-DC will appear foolish.

Agreed as well. The same functionality (V2H) would also be useful for
V2V... transferring enough energy from one car to another to help them get
to a proper grid-connected energy source. A set of NEMA 5-20 and 14-50
outlets would be able to cover every factory EV in the US (through another
EVSE), and of course supply most home or RV loads. NEMA 14-50 can supply up
to 10 kW continuous (250v x 40a).

My guess is that if there is V2H/V2G capability in the Model 3, it is
because the onboard battery charging equipment was designed as an
inverter-charger. There is similar functionality inside a Powerwall or
Powerpack, and also in grid-interactive or off-grid inverter-chargers like
those from Magnum, Outback, Transverter, or Sol-Ark.

With the right software and equipment, Tesla could turn their cars into
mobile Powerwalls, or Powerwalls-while-at-home, all as a value-add. In low
usage scenarios (emergency, camping, V2V), the lifetime extra kWh moved
into and out of the pack would be insignificant compared to driving. Model
3 driving efficiency is about 250 Wh/mile (4 miles/kWh).

I'm not sure about what reference you were thinking of. I did find this
article although it isn't an exact match for what you described:
https://www.teslarati.com/tesla-may-revisit-vehicle-to-grid-v2g-bi-directional-charging-solution/

P.S. closing thought: device to device electrical energy transfers are
possible between the latest Samsung phones. I wonder if that would be
considered P2P...