From: EV <ev-boun...@lists.evdl.org> On Behalf Of Glenn Van Vlemen via EV
Sent: Wednesday, August 21, 2019 11:56 PM
To: Electric Vehicle Discussion List <ev@lists.evdl.org>
Cc: Glenn Van Vlemen <gl...@exoro.com.au>; brucedp5 <bruce...@juno.com>
Subject: Re: [EVDL] Leaf 2use in VT: buying a used EV ...

I have been looking at 2nd hand leaf’s but find the battery degradation
severely limits the use of these vehicles.

Some progress appears to be on the horizon for installing additional
capacity to restore and or improve range. But not commercially available yet
and potential issues around insurance, liabilities etc yet to be clearly
defined.

In Australia this appears to make these vehicles impractical and thus
valueless!

I do a 55km commute daily so would like a 80% charged range of > 80km to be
useful. Then there is the issue of continued battery degradation and further
reduction of range into the future.

So the leaf appears to me to have a very limited life and market. Pity as
the cars are on the market for reasonable prices now, assuming you can
accept the range limitations.

On Thu, 22 Aug 2019 at 09:13, Seth Rothenberg via EV <ev@lists.evdl.org>
wrote:

> I second much of the advice shared here already, and I would add one
> thing.
>
> On Wed, Aug 21, 2019 at 8:52 PM brucedp5 via EV <ev@lists.evdl.org> wrote:
>
> > I would not waste time on ay leaf that is older than 2014. That is
> > the model year offering onboard 6kW chargers and had worked out most
> > of the charger bugs.
> >

> I have a 2013 Nissan Leaf S, 24KWh battery, theoretical range 84 miles.
> I bought this car 200 miles from home on a day that was 18 degrees F.
> Let's just say it's good I had plenty of time and a really good friend
> to take turns with.
>
> In the 2016 model year, two additional options became available -
> Heat pump instead of resistive heat and
> 30 KWh battery  (Not on all models in 2016).
>
> It would be worth studying if these options are available
> in your area, as I have been told they make a big difference in range.
>
> If you buy a Leaf, one or more of the groups can share
> more tips, like using seat warmers to warm people
> conductively instead of the high cost of physically moving
> air through the heating system.
>
> Good luck, please let us know :-)
>
> --

*Regards*