In all this discussion...I don't think I saw using a car + small 4x8 or 5x8
utility trailer mentioned. Torklift Ecohitches are available for Tesla
vehicles, Nissan Leafs, Toyota Priuses, and many other cars.

There is a *lot* you can do with a 2000 lb budget. 500 lb utility
trailer+1500 lbs load. Hauling plywood, drywall, yard waste, moving
furniture...all are possible. A utility trailer isn't covered, but that
isn't a given for truck beds either.

So what if the Prius MPGs drop from 50 mpg to 25 mpg on the freeway? It is
still 25 mpg doing truck-like duty on the rare times you need that ability,
while getting 50 mpg most of the time. Add a Scangauge to watch Prius water
temps when under load. Hint: they are pretty stable, meaning the cooling
system is keeping up even with a 2x fuel burn rate.

Hook the same trailer up to a Tesla Model S/X...and beyond the change in
Wh/mile, it won't really affect performance.  Okay for 100 miles on the
freeway in pretty much any conditions, and sometimes longer distances.

Gen 1 Leaf can also handle the load, but the already short range is quickly
made even shorter. Okay for maybe 15 miles (factoring in range degradation
in a Gen 1).

My rough rule of thumb: cut rated EV range to 1/2 or 1/3 of nominal value
if planning to tow non-aero trailer with EV at freeway speed on flat
ground. That should be conservative enough to avoid getting into a bind
while you figure out actual energy consumption.

This ratio of 1/2 to 1/3 is a side effect of the aerodynamic and drivetrain
efficiency of most EVs. They simply don't take lot of energy move around
compared to a high-drag trailer.

Another upside on small trailer...lifetime registration in at least some
states. Downside is learning to back a trailer out of some situations, and
figuring out where to store the trailer (options: driveway, garage, shed,
backyard, under raised deck).