The "Triangle of Fire" shows that there are 3 things necessary to
sustain a (traditional/house) fire: Fuel, Oxygen and Heat:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fire_triangle
Obviously, in a chemical fire this can change but the idea of fire
extinguishing stays the same:
Remove *ONE* element of the triangle to stop the fire.
In this case of electrolyte producing both Fuel and Oxygen, the only
element that you can remove is the necessary Heat to sustain the
combustion.
So, that is what firefighters are doing - even on electrical fires in
EV battery boxes.
Cor.