This would work for lead acid, where the electrolyte is water based, but li-ion cells have an organic solvent based electrolyte.

Bill D.

On 6/22/2020 11:40 AM, Lawrence Winiarski wrote:
I had an idea once.   Dump the electrolyte in a fire.   That stops the battery reaction and stops the fire.   I'd bet you could make a heat sensitive relief valve (at the bottom) and as the battery heats up, it would dump the electrolyte (which is getting hot anyway and would either
pour via gravity or perhaps boil out the relief valve).
It would make a mess...but I bet it would work.

-- If we don't halt population growth with justice and compassion, it will be done for us by nature, brutally and without pity - and will leave a ravaged world. Nobel Laureate Dr. Henry W. Kendall