In the early 2000s, Solectria (RIP) used supercaps experimentally as current
levelers in EVs.  They hoped to get more range out of lead batteries.

The idea worked, to a degree, but the caps' rapid voltage fall meant they
needed a DC:DC converter, and its (in)efficiency was a problem.  Also, the
range improvement was highly dependent on how the vehicle was driven.

http://www.evdl.org/docs/supercap_leveler.pdf

The report linked above doesn't discuss the system's cost, but IIRC it was
pretty high for the small amount of benefit it returned.  Adding another
module or two to the battery would have probably accomplished more for less
cost.  But they couldn't have gotten a grant for that. :-)

To reach me, don't reply to this message; I won't get it.  Use my

     Q:  What do you call a principal female opera singer whose high C
         is lower than those of other principal female opera singers?
     A:  A deep C diva.

                                        -- Anonymous